Seven-year-old Australian-British boy missing after Barcelona attack | World news

An urgent search is under way for a child with dual British nationality who is believed to be among the missing after the terror attacks in Spain, the UK prime minister has said.

Theresa May spoke after a British man living in Australia appealed for information about his seven-year-old grandson, Julian Alessandro Cadman, who became separated from his mother, Jom, during the chaos.

“Julian is seven years old and was out with Jom when they were separated, due to the recent terrorist activity. Please share if you have family or friends in Barcelona,” said Tony Cadman, whose Facebook profile says he lives in Australia and is originally from Dorset.

May told Sky News that Britain was “urgently looking into reports of a child believed missing, who is a British dual national”. She did not name him.

It has been reported that the child and his mother previously lived in Kent, and Tony Cadman posted a picture of Julian wearing a uniform from a British nursery school.

May and the Foreign Office have confirmed that British nationals are among those injured, though they have not said how many.

Tony Cadman said Jom, his daughter-in-law, had been injured in the attack in Las Ramblas on Thursday, which left 13 people dead. He said she was in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

Julian’s father, Andrew Cadman, said he had spoken to his son only hours before he went missing. Cadman was travelling from Sydney to Barcelona on Friday to search for Julian.

The Australian foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, has said one Australian is missing and four others have been injured in the attack.

“We are concerned, but we are working closely with authorities to determine the whereabouts of the one Australian unaccounted for,” Bishop told reporters in Melbourne on Friday.

Two New South Wales women are in hospital. One of those women, Sydney bank worker Suria Intan, is being treated at the Hospital Clinic in Barcelona. Intan works for the Commonwealth Bank and is a member of the Hillsong church.

She was due to return home this weekend after a three-week holiday with three girlfriends, Fairfax reported.

Two Victorian men – both of whom were hit by the attacker’s van – have been discharged after receiving treatment.



How the Spanish terror attacks unfolded

“We condemn in the strongest possible terms these brutal and cowardly attacks, and in the case of Las Ramblas, clearly designed to harm and affect tourists who were visiting the area,” Bishop said.

“The Australian government remains committed to ensuring that Australians are as safe as they can be, either overseas or here in Australia.”

Australia’s consular hotline has received more than 380 calls, with government advice updated to urge travellers to exercise caution and heed the directions of local authorities.

There are 2,000 Australians registered with the embassy as being in Spain, and roughly 20,000 Australians in Spain at any one time.

Source link