Women-only music festival in Sweden to go ahead after crowdfunding campaign | Music

Sweden will host a women-only music festival in the summer of 2018, after a successful crowdfunding campaign raised more than 500,000 Swedish krona (£47,000) for the venture, from 3,300 people.

Statement festival, which forbids cis men, comes in the wake of a series of sexual assaults at Swedish music festivals such as Bråvalla and Putte I Parken. There were four rapes and 23 sexual assaults at this year’s edition of Bråvalla, leading the event to be cancelled next year.

The organisers of Statement have railed against “year after year” of unsafe events for women. In their plea for crowdfunding, they wrote: “Help us to create a safe space for the people who want to attend a festival without feeling scared for their personal safety.”

Statement will allow cis women, trans women and those who identify as non-binary to attend. An update on the project’s Kickstarter page said the crowdfunding revenue would secure an as yet undisclosed venue for the festival.

The festival is being organised by Swedish comedian Emma Knyckare, who originally wrote on Twitter following the Bråvalla attacks: “What do you think about putting together a really cool festival where only non-men are welcome that we’ll run until ALL men have learned how to behave themselves?”

Source link

Sweden’s Bråvalla music festival cancelled next year after sex attacks | World news

Sweden’s largest music festival has been cancelled next year due to reports of rape and sexual assaults at the event over the weekend.

Allegations of rape and sexual assault at several music festivals in recent years have sparked outrage in Sweden.

Police in the south-eastern district of Östergötland, where the annual Bråvalla festival took place, said they received four rape and 23 sexual assault reports between Thursday and Sunday.

One woman said she was forced to have sex with a man after changing her mind.

“Certain men … apparently cannot behave. It’s a shame. We have therefore decided to cancel Bråvalla 2018,” the festival’s organisers said .

The chief police investigator, Martin Hedberg, said: “Many reports [of sexual assault] come after they’ve happened so there are weak descriptions [of the suspects] and nothing more to go on.”

Last year, local media reported that five women were allegedly raped at the four-day festival, attended by thousands of people each year.

The prime minister condemned the incidents and called for more surveillance at festivals.

“This is so disgusting. These are obnoxious acts by deplorable men,” Stefan Löfven told the Swedish daily Expressen in televised comments on Sunday. “This must stop”

The prime minister said the government was in talks with the police about increasing surveillance at such events.

Last year, police were accused of withholding information about about alleged sexual assaults against women by young immigrants at a Stockholm summer music festival in 2014 and 2015.

But the Swedish prosecutor’s office later dropped an investigation into the case.

This year’s Bråvalla festival continued as planned despite the alleged assaults and ended on Saturday with performances by the Killers, Prophets of Rage and Dutch DJ Martin Garrix.

FKP Scorpio, the German owner of the Bråvalla festival, blamed last year’s incidents on a drop in ticket sales.

The festival sold about 45,000 tickets this year compared with 52,000 in 2016.

“It stopped being about music and became almost completely about crime and violence,” said Folkert Koopmans, chief executive of FKP Scorpio.

Source link